Razer Phone was the first in this niche but ended up with mixed results. Then, Xiaomi backed Black Shark Technologies with a new phone called Black Shark to mark its presence in this not so immense market. Chronologically, Nubia’s Red Magic was the next. Is it a winner over the latter? I’ll let you guys answer that.
Now the popular ROG (Republic of Gamers) from Asus is coming to your palm with a gorgeous FHD+ 18:9 AMOLED display and a bold design. Other things that can power the ROG phone to glory are-
- Powered by Snapdragon 845 where the performance cores have been clocked at 2.96GHz.
- RGB lighting
- 3D vapor chamber cooling system
- The world’s fastest AMOLED display with 90Hz refresh rate but a lower response time than Razer phone
- Pressure-sensitive edges
- Hypercharge tech which can charge 60% the 4000mAh capacity in 33 minutes
- It is compatible with Quick Charge 4.0, Quick Charge 3.0, and USB-C PD
- Mobile Desktop Dock – hook up the phone to a monitor
- GameVice controller – turn your device into a wireless controller
- TwinView Dock – adds a secondary screen
- Dual Front facing stereo speakers with smart amplifier
The usual thing is here.
- Operating System – Android 8.1 Oreo
- Display – 6.0-inch 18:9 AMOLED FHD+ (2160×1080), 90Hz refresh rate
- Chipset – Octa-core (4 at 2.96Ghz + 4 at 1.70Ghz) Qualcomm Snapdragon 845
- GPU – Adreno 630
- RAM – LPDDR4X 8GB
- Storage – UFS 2.1, 128/512GB
- Expandable – No
- Sensors – Accelerometer, e-compass, proximity sensor, Hall sensor, ambient-light sensor, fingerprint sensor, gyroscope, 2 x ultrasonic AirTriggers
- Battery – 4000mAh
- Rear Camera – 12MP (f/1.8, 1.4um) + 8MP (f/2.0, 1.12um)
- Front Camera – 8MP (f/2.0, 1.12um)
- Connectivity – Wi-Fi 802.11 ac 2×2 MIMO ; NFC, LTE with VoLTE, Bluetooth 5.0
- Dimensions – 158.8 x 76.2 x 8.6mm
- Charging – USB-C Quick Charge 4.0, Hypercharge
The back is made of glass with a metal insert to conduct the heat away. The rear camera setup is similar that of the ZenFone 5Z. Running ZenUI on top of Android 8.1 Oreo this device is a perfect blend of software and some ahead of the times hardware solutions. It is coming to India in September.
What do you think of Lenovo’s Thinkpad series? Is it powerful enough to be crown as the King of Mobile workstations. Find out here.
Its competitor the Black Shark is a beast device with not so innovative design and asthetics when compared to the ROG phone. But black-and-green styling with a rugged look is not too bad. Sporting a dual camera setup at rear and a FHD+ 18:9 LCD panel in the front with the finger-print sensor in the front.
- Operating System – Android Oreo 8.0 with JOY UI
- Display – 5.99 inches FHD+ LCD panel
- Chipset – Snapdragon 845
- GPU – Adreno 630
- Rear Camera – 12 MP (f/1.8, 1.25µm) + 20 MP (f/1.8, 1.0µm)
- Front Camera – 20 MP (f/2.2, 1.0µm)
- Connectivity – Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, WiFi Direct,Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, aptX HD,LE
- Stereo Speakers and Quick Charge 3.0
The Black Shark Gamepad which is sold separately is the only stand-out feature in this not so expensive gaming phone which starts around $477. There is a multi-stage integrated liquid cooling system in this device.Dual sim but SD card slot. There are 64/6GB or 128/8GB options to choose from.
Overall, I would say there is no such fancy thing as 120Hz refresh or TwinView Dock in this phone but it is pretty good.
Asus ROG Phone is the winner here for me. Have your say in the comments. What’s your favorite feature of them both? Is it a true competitor to the Razer phone?
Huawei is coming up soon.