This article is all about how to enable or disable Hibernation in Windows operated PCs. Hibernation is special power saving mode which is designed for laptops to save power of the laptop for a long time period. Generally, this mode is used in laptops which do not have easy access to the power supply for an extended amount of time. In other words, we can say that Hibernation is a feature of Windows operating system that acts as a middle stage in between completely powering your laptop down and putting it to sleep.
Hibernation is the slightly different from sleep feature in Windows because sleep mode keeps your all the running programmes in the memory (RAM) and do not prevent your system from drawing power to keep the RAM running on your system. While in the Hibernation all your running programmes and open documents are stored on your computers offline hard disk in a hidden protected system file that is located at C:/hiberfil.sys which generally consumes disk space equal to 75% of your computers RAM size.
Hibernation also helps us to reduce power consumption because it transfers all the running processes on the hard disk and prevents RAM from running so power consumption is very low. So, after hibernation when you again start your system it transfers all the processes from hard disk to RAM and boots more quickly than a complete shutdown so you can easily pick up where you left off.
Hibernation is enabled by default and it does not heart your computer. So it is not necessary to disable it even when you don’t use it on your system. If you disable hibernate from your system then you can not be able to take advantage of windows 10s fast startup feature. So do not disable it otherwise it is not necessary to remove it from your system. Here we discuss various methods by which we can easily disable hibernate from our system. So let’s start here how to disable Hibernate on your Windows operated PC.
METHOD 1: Disable or Enable Hibernate using Command Prompt
1. First of all search for Command prompt and run it on your system with Administrator privilege. To do so you can use Cortana search box and choose Command Prompt (admin) option then click on the yes option when a popup appears on the screen. Figure is shown below
2. Now in the command prompt window type given below command and press the enter key to disable Hibernate and close the command prompt window. Now you can check that the hibernate option is disabled from your system.
powercfg.exe /hibernate off
3. If you want to enable hibernation again on your system then simply open Command prompt again with Administrator privilege and type given below command in it then simply press Enter key.
powercfg.exe /hibernate on
4. Your Hibernation feature again restored on your system by using above command. You can check that by clicking on the power button which is present in the start menu.
Method 2: Disable or Enable Hibernation using Registry Editor
1. First of all open Windows Registry Editor on your system. To do so open Run search box by pressing Windows key+R combination on your system. Then type “regedit” and press enter to open Windows Registry Editor on your system.
2. After that in Registry Editor Window Navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power”.
3. Now in the Power option look downward and search for the “HibernateEnabled” option and double click on it to change its default setting according to our needs.
4. After clicking on it a popup appears on the windows screen in it you can observe that the value data is set for the Hibernate option. If you want to disable Hibernate from your system then simply enter 0 in the value data field. It also removes Hibernate and hiberfil.sys file from your system drive.
5. If you want to Enable Hibernate again for your system then simply set value data to 1 from 0 and save that setting. It enables hibernation feature on your system and also restores the “hiberfil.sys” on your system.
6. After that restart your system for the changes which are made by us to take place.
Method 3: Enable or Disable Hibernation by using a Registry File or .reg file
Step 1: First of all, open Notepad on your Windows PC to do so type Notepad in the search bar and then click on notepad app or software.
Step 2: Now, if you want to enable the Hibernation option then copy given below code and paste them into notepad.
[css]Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
Step 3: If you want to disable the Hibernation option then copy given below code and paste them into Notepad.
[css]Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
Step 4: After pasting any of the given code from above save this notepad file with “.reg” extension such as “Hibernation.reg”.
Step 5: Now open this saved file by double-clicking on it. And here you need to agree to a warning from the UAC to proceed to Enable or Disable Hibernation.
Step 6: Now Restart your PC to apply changes on your PC.
These are some possible methods by which we can easily Enable or Disable Hibernation in Windows operated PCs. If you found this article helpful for you then share this with your friend and family. If you have any queries regarding this then simply solved out in the comment section. Also, follow our blog for further stories like this and stay updated with us.