In the modern world, everyone goes into a wireless environment. But the question of security has often been raised. In this modern world, the wireless technology spread very quickly all over the earth. But security is less than enough for wireless technology and sometimes security is available in this technology but people don’t know about this. How to secure your Wi-Fi from being hacked by hackers in this modern era of technology. Hackers took advantage of this thing by hacking your unsecured Wi-Fi connection and increase your Wi-Fi bill.
Security asides there are many reasons to secure your Wi-Fi network. A secured Wi-Fi network address is reduced your bill and gives you a faster internet speed. In this article, we learn about some techniques to protect your Wi-Fi network from hackers.
First of all, we log in to Wi-Fi router by using your username and password they are written on your wi-fi router. After that follow given steps to secure your Wi-Fi network from hackers.
1. Encrypt your Wi-Fi network: – After logging in to your Wi-Fi router first thing is to do is encrypt your Wi-Fi network. Encryption basically encrypts/encode the data that is transmitted and received by you while using a wireless network. That helps you if a hacker interrupts your data transmission he will not be able to take benefit from the information contained in it.
There are three types of encryption available on a Wi-Fi network: – WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy), WPA (Wireless Protected Access) and WPA2 security. WEP is the older standard security and it is now can be bypassed in a matter of few minutes. WPA is newer in comparison to WEP, but it also has security holes in it. so that is not a secure encryption method because the chances of hacking are present in both encryptions. Now last option is WPA2 it is the latest standard of security on your Wi-Fi network. If you want the highest level security then use WPA2 encryption on your Wi-Fi router with a strong password protection.
2. Replace your routers default password with a strong password: – The biggest common factor of hacking Wi-Fi network is users not changing their default passwords on their routers which is given by the manufacturer to the customer. Because manufacturer provides same password and username for all the users and hackers took advantage of that database and easily hack your wi-fi network. So always use a strong password for your wi-fi network.
3. Change default SSID of your Wi-Fi router: –
Your network’s SSID is the name of your network. Basically, the default SSID is the name of manufacturer along with the model number of your router. Sometimes it helps the hackers to hack your network so always change your default SSID name something generic which makes it tough for an unknown user to identify which network it belongs to your router and always give a scary and dangerous name to your Wi-Fi router sometimes it helps a lot.
4. See connected devices list: – Always check your connected devices on your router in such a certain time interval. It helps you a lot if you saw an unknown device is connected to your Wi-Fi network that means your router will be hacked. At that instant change your password and your username also two prevent your data from that unknown device.
5. Disable remote access and turn off guest networking: – While most routers will have guest networking disabled by default, but sometimes it is enabled by mistake from us. So check it and disable remote access and management of your wi-fi router security setting, Because it allows others to access your network and setting of your router and make changes in it by remote access.
6. Reduce wi-fi signal range: – If you reduce your wi-fi network range from the default it helps a lot. It will prevent from hackers they are located at a distance from detecting your network. If your wi-fi range does not reach the hackers place common sense tell that if they don’t know about your network then they do not try to break your wireless network.
7. Enable MAC address based filtering on your router: – If you want to add an additional extra layer of security to your wi-fi network then you could consider enabling MAC address filtering on your router. It allows only devices having particular MAC address to access your network. For configuring MAC address filtering based security you need to enter the MAC address every device which you wish to allow to connect to your network it will be configured on your router’s settings page. It prevents unknown devices from connecting to your network even if they know your password also.
Also Read: How To Create Wi-Fi Hotspot In Windows PC
If you follow these all steps to prevent your wi-fi network from being hacked by hackers. Your wi-fi network will be having a lot of protection and it surely does not hack by hackers.
These all above steps help you a lot in securing your wi-fi router at home from hackers. If you have any queries regarding this then simply solved out through the comment section and also provide feedback to us. For Further updates follow our blog and stay updated.