This article is all about how to use Windows SmartScreen in Windows 10. In this article, we learn about how to enable and disable Windows SmartScreen in Windows 10. Also, read how to use Windows SmartScreen feature in Windows 10. Windows SmartScreen is one of the great features which is introduced by Microsoft in Windows because it helps a lot in preventing your system from various types of malicious software and applications. For example, we can say that many of the Windows users use Internet to download files and software from untrusted websites.
Sometimes users download those files from a malicious website or that downloaded file was corrupted in that case if you run those files on your system. They probably cause harm to your system. So Microsoft introduces SmartScreen feature in Windows 8 or later to prevent their users from these types of harmful files and software. If you are using Windows 8 or later those harmful files will not run directly, like the earlier version of Windows and the reason behind this is Windows SmartScreen filter. So now, first of all, we learn about the meaning of Windows SmartScreen and how we use it on our Windows 10.
What is Windows SmartScreen and How we use it for our system?
Windows SmartScreen is an inbuilt feature of Windows who automatically scans applications, files, downloads, and websites. It blocks known dangerous content and warns you before you run unknown applications on your system. So, that your machine remains safe. When a user runs a file or application that comes from unrecognized source then Windows SmartScreen blocks that immediately to prevent your PC from that harmful thing. So we recommended that do not disable Windows Smart Screen, in any case, to prevent your PC from Virus and Malware attacks. Windows SmartScreen always shows a Message on your screen when an unrecognized application or file runs on your PC. If you know that blocked item is safe for your PC, then you can allow it by clicking on the Run anyway option from your screen. Figure is shown below
How to Enable and Disable Windows SmartScreen in Windows 10
There are two methods for enabling and disabling Windows SmartScreen in Windows 10. In which one is by configuring Windows setting and another is by configuring Local Group Policy Editor.
Method 1: – Enable or Disable Windows SmartScreen using Windows Setting
We all know that Windows SmartScreen setting is moved under the Windows Defender Security Center. So if you want to do some changes in the working of Windows SmartScreen then use below-given steps.
1. First of all, open Windows Defender Security Center by using Cortana search box which is comes along with Windows 10. To do so first of all click on the Cortana search box on your system which is given on the Windows Taskbar.
2. After that, type Windows Defender Security Center in Cortana search box and press enter to proceed. Now you saw that Cortana shows some searches on your screen in which choose one of the top searches which are given by Cortana. Figure is shown below
3. After that, you saw that a new window will be opened on your screen which shows all the settings of Windows Defender Which are given by Windows 10 Creators update. Figure is shown below
4. Now after that click on the App & Browser control option to reach the SmartScreen settings. Figure is shown below
5. After that, you saw that Windows SmartScreen settings will be displayed on your screen which looks like this.
6. Now you can configure Windows SmartScreen settings according to your need. To do so you can know some things which help you in enabling and disabling Windows SmartScreen on your system. In-App & Browser control setting you can see that there are three options and that options also have three choices to configure that is given below with the description. how these three choices work.
♦ Block: – This is the first choice if you choose this option then your Windows SmartScreen is enabled and block unrecognized apps or files directly without warning you.
♦ Warn: – This is the second choice if you choose this option then your Windows SmartScreen is enabled but in prompt mode. In other words, we can say that it perfectly works on your system but does not have permissions to block unrecognized apps and files it only gives warning to you regarding those malicious files.
♦ Off: – This is the third option if you choose this option then your Windows SmartScreen is completely disabled from your system. Now you can easily run unrecognized apps and files on your system without any distraction which is caused by Windows SmartScreen.
Now you can choose one of the options according to your need and stay protected from viruses and malware.
Method 2: – Enable or Disable Windows SmartScreen in Windows 10 using Local Group Policy Editor
1. First of all open Local Group Policy Editor on your system by using the run search box. To do so first of all open Run search box on your screen using Windows Key+R.
2. Now in Run search box type gpedit.msc command and press enter to proceed. Now you saw that It opens Local Group Policy Editor in a new window on your screen.
3. Now in Local Group Policy editor first of all click on the Computer Configuration option from the left sidebar and saw that it shows some options in which options choose Administrative Templates option to proceed. Now you can see that it also shows some options in which choose Windows Component option. Now you can see that it shows many of the options on your screen in right side box in which search for File Explorer folder and double click on it to proceed. In other words, we can say that simply follow given below path in your Local Group Policy Editor and figure is also shown below with accurate path.
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Component > File Explorer
4. Now in the File Explorer folder search for a file which is named as Configure Windows Defender SmartScreen and double click on it to configure or edit it to enabling and disabling Windows SmartScreen on your system. Figure is shown below
5. In Windows SmartScreen Setting you can see that there are three options are given in which Not Configured option is set by default on all the settings. There are two more options are available in which one is Enabled and another is Disabled. Now choose one of the options according to your need if you want to enable Windows SmartScreen for your system then choose Enabled option and if you want to disable Windows SmartScreen on your system then choose the Disabled option. Like here I choose enabled option for my PC then I saw that there are two more options also available for my PC under the Options menu in which you can choose a setting for your SmartScreen according to your need. Figure is shown below
This is the whole process by which you can enable and disable Windows SmartScreen for your PC according to your need. By using given steps you can able in to enable and disable Windows SmartScreen on Windows 10. I think this article is helpful for you if you have any queries regarding this then it can simply be solved in the comment section. Also, provide feedback to us because your feedback is valuable for us. For further updates subscribe to this blog.